Saturday, April 27, 2013

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse....

The Casa Popenoe museum is closed for the year.  The guard didn't/couldn't/wouldn't tell me why.

Alrighty, then.  Off I go.

I simply walked for about 2-1/2 hours, mostly to the South of town.  That's where the affluent Antiguans live. I passed by this development, for example:

  http://antiguaguatemata.olx.com.gt/casa-en-venta-de-esquina-cond-bosques-de-antigua-antigua-guatemala-iid-462254579

Safe to say, the houses in the area are USD$1,000,000 plus.

Very pretty, but -- for whatever reason -- I didn't buy one.

I got back, grabbed Donald, and we went to dinner -- Subway, of all places.  A 12" tuna sub, with everything, tastes just as good here as it does in the States.

But Pepsi still tastes like sewer water next to Coke.

On the way back, we stopped at a market near our hotel, for water.  I ended up chatting with the owner of the store, who -- after about 15 minutes -- offered me a position, with room and board, teaching Spanish at his language school.

No false modesty, here: my Spanish is NOT very good.  It's just not.  But to the administrator/professor/driver of the library buses ... it was more than good enough to do the job.  It's basically a volunteer gig.  I told him I'd keep the information, and ... if life brought me back to Antigua ... he'd see me darken his doorway, once more.

He bought me a Coke for the road ;-)

Okay.  THIS ... doesn't happen every day.

Last night's fireworks COULD be reprised, tonight; we don't know.  But, at 8:30, we'll be up on the roof, parked in our usual spots, and looking toward the La Merced.  It's ringside seats.  If they light 'em off ... we'll know :-)

Ciao for now, then, from the polyglot perch of ... The Gulag ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment