Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Packing List

I've already been asked by several people what it is that I plan to take on a one-way "adventure" (read: low-budget) trip that will take me to remote places, require me to be quite self-sufficient, and may last many months or a couple of years.

I've been quite fortunate to have taken more than a few month-long (or more) trips to "emerging nations" before, and -- while I'd love to say it's taught me to whittle my list down to the bare essentials -- it hasn't :-)

What it HAS taught me is that -- if I think I might need it, and I'm SURE I can comfortably lug it -- I should take it along.  The only thing that I ever toted to more than a few countries, but never used, was a  very small and lightweight hammock.

It's not going ;-)

So here's the list.  I haven't trial-packed it, yet, so ... there WILL be an issue of "what actually FITS," but ... this is the stuff that I either had easy access to or ordered, and that should be awaiting me in my hotel room, when I get back there, next week.

So ... THE LIST:


ITEM
Backup glasses
Day Pack + Water Bladder
Eagle Creek Packing Cubes
Eyeglass retaining straps
Gerber Multi-Tool
Hiking shorts
Meds
Passport
Allegra-D
BATTERIES
Q-tips
Safety pins
Luggage locks + cable
Mosquito net + repellent gizmo
Antibiotic ointment
Crushproof eyeglass case
Fever thermometer
Goggles case for SWIM goggles
Hard soap container
Immodium A-D
Antifungal ointment
Cortisone cream
Cat-Crap goggle cleaner/anti-fog
Buf-Puf (for scrubbing feet etc)
Extra shoelaces for Garmonts
UV Pen water sterilizer
Rx swim goggles
Long pants
Underwear - briefs
Hiking shoes
Stuff sacks
Nature's Eyes Tear Eye Mist
Afrin
Ayr Nasal Gel
AC Plug Adapters
10X mirror
Adidas trail running shoes
Aspirin
Backpack
Backpack rain cover
Band-aids
Bathing suit
Benadryl
Binoculars
Camera
Camera batteries
Camera charger
Compass
Compression Travel Sacks
Deet
Do rags + bandanas
Ear plugs
Flat sink stopper
Flip-flops
Glasses cleaning cloths
Goggle case for Uvex
Goldfish bowl glasses
Guide books
Headlamp
Hiking socks
Keychain flaslight
Lashing straps
Lip balm
Long-sleeve shirts
Main glasses w/clip-ons
Maps
Marmot fleece pullover
Money belt
Muro 128 ointment
My holy wool sweater
Notebook charger
Notebook computer
Notebook sleeve
Nylon belt
Nylon mesh bags
Nylon wallet
OR gloves + shells
Paracord 550
Phrasebook
Pocket Spanish dictionary
Rain hat
Rain jacket
Rain pants
Scrub bottoms (sleepwear)
SD Memory cards
Shoe bag
Sunblock
Thermometer/Hygrometer
Toiletry kit
T-shirts
Underwear - base layer
Viscose towel
Waterproof pens
Waterproof pouches
Wool watch cap
Xenon flaslight + spare batteries
Hat
International cell phone

I'll update the list, after I've fine tuned it WITH my backpack -- an oldie but a goodie that has been with me around the world.

I'll also try to weight it, to give an idea of how much tonnage I'll be required to float.

No comments:

Post a Comment