Friday, May 9, 2014

Will probably just cry a bit .....

I think it's probably time.

Haven't gotten in, yet, to be seen by Internal Medicine.

But ... after sending a couple of concisely worded messages to the Liver Docs .... about Anticonvulsant Hypersensitivity Syndrome  (AHS) ... I just got a reply back from the Fellow:

"But, Mr. Brooks. You didn't take an anticonvulsant, did you ?

You're kidding me, right ??

Of course, I wrote back and immediately corrected this little situation, but .... it's emblematic of what I'm up against.

[Yeah, I'm advocating that we consider a diagnosis of Anticonvulsant Hypersensitivity Syndrome, even though I've never taken an anticonvulsant in my life :rolleyes:]

Meanwhile ... I checked yet one more thing, to verify the goodness of fit OF Anticonvulsant Hypersensitivity Syndrome: would the liver biopsy slides look ANY different if it were AHS or if it were Drug-Induced Liver Injury (DILI) ??

The answer is no.  They should look exactly the same.  Hmmm.

I'm now offering my physicians a light-hearted $100 wager that it WAS AHS, and NOT a DILI.  I know what testing is needed.  If Mayo will do the blood draw, I found one of the very few labs that can DO the testing.  

It is my intention NOT to leave Rochester, Minnesota (or to leave these good people alone) until my hypothesis has been clinically explored.

Been in the Lobby since 6:45am, today.  Only about 40 minutes left until today's standby session is over.  Doesn't look like Internal Medicine and I will meet, today.  I will arrange to stay another week .... later, today, and resume my rightful place in this lobby at 7am on Monday morning.

Ciao for now ... from .... the mildly-medically-frustrated reaches of ... The Gulag.

No comments:

Post a Comment